Tuesday, October 7, 2008

NRL Grand Final

Last night was Grand Final night for those of us here in America. Okay, so for those of us here at the Ryland home. For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, here's the explanation. Rugby League, which is a faster and simpler to follow version of Rugby Union, which is the rugby you probably know about, is huge in Australia, at least in parts of it. This season, Sam has been able to download the games, and we've become huge fans. Okay, so Sam already was, but now he's gotten me and my family into it. We mostly just go for the Brisbane Broncos, as that is Sam's team, and now my mum even knows the names of a lot of the Broncos players. It's pretty funny. (Love you mum!) Anyway, Brisbane didn't make it into the finals, so we started cheering for the NZ Warriors, who were then eliminated. Needless to say, we were left without a team to really cheer for. The 2 teams that made the Grand Final-the superbowl of rugby league- were the top two teams and we were looking forward to a great game. My parents and my brother and his wife all came over for the big game. Turns out, it wasn't that exciting. Manly beat Melbourne 40-0. It was pretty exciting and there were some great tries, but really, what a disappointment. Ah well, at least we had some good  popcorn, right? 

And there are my ramblings about rugby. With the season over, Sam has stocked up on old games and some documentaries to watch until next season starts. He is so lucky to have me for a wife. (That's because I like watching all this silly stuff with him, in case you were wondering.) So, if any of you live around here, and want to catch up on your rugby league, give us a call! 

 And a random Jackson thing. He has recently taken to walking backwards. It's hilarious. He walks  towards you, then stops, and very slowly and carefully takes a few steps backwards. Then he goes forward, and backward, and forward and backward. I'm sure you get it. I like it. 

1 comment:

PQR said...

I don't think even I know any Bronco team member names. I do remember going to the live games once or twice with dad (and a state of origin match!) which was awesome.

Jackson is getting cuter all the time!